Where these problems come from? My child is very young to have to deal with this?
- Most psychiatric problems have genetic predisposition, which means there is some potential family history in1st or 2nd degree relatives. Exposure to certain environment make the display of these symptoms earlier and perhaps sometimes more intense.
Can we wait and see, it might go away on its own?
- Very unlikely, that these issue will go on its own. If it doesn’t stay as is, it could definitely get worse.
DO we have to use medication to help with these problems or counseling/therapy is enough?
- Counselling is very essential to deal with emotional, behavioral and thought problems in your brain. Learning the right copying skills does change your brain chemistry and giving the individual the ability to minimize the intensity of these episodes, make them less frequent. Additionally, you learn how to damage control much easier. At some point when life is not loaded with many stressors, copying skills might enable you to control these emotional, behavioral and thought changes without the need of many psychiatric medications. What you learn in counselling stay in your brain all your life. You will hear the counselor words helping you to navigate through similar situations arise in your life and you need to cope with. For details about what kind of counselling could benefit you please click here.
What will medicine do for him?
- Genetic information dictates behaviors, emotions and thoughts through controlling brain chemistry. There is a perfect balance in your brain between many chemicals that we call “neurotransmitter” many of these are serotonin, dopamine, epinephrine, nor epinephrine, acetyl choline and many others. The balances of these chemicals in many areas of the brain is an extremely delicate process and very different in different brain areas. Many psychiatric medications help to some extent to correct that balance so that you can get a control of these emotional, behavioral and thought changes. Additionally, medications help you to get ready to have insight towards your illness and prepare you to apply the necessary copying skills you might learn from counselling.
Can my child outgrow these problems?
- This is possible if you have a perfect set up. This set up is attainable but quite unlikely. The child has to masters the ability to control his emotions, thought and feeling through extensive learning process. Controlling the amount of stress around him is very crucial, and then lastly avoidance of using any illicit drugs or alcohol. Now you can understand how this could be achievable, but unlikely.
I might be OK with using medication, how about other parent?
- This is a typical problem that very frequently arise in many doctor offices. Parents typically disagree on the diagnoses, medication recommended and treatment plan.
Additionally, if the parent’s relationship whither they are still married, separated or divorced is not amicable relationship, you could expect a lot of challenges and difficulties. Unstable parent’s relationship has tendency to displace anger frustrations, disgruntled feeling in to this topic and it is very hard to separate out the real concern from a parent versus the displaced anger and frustration about the entire relationship with the other parents.
Your counselor and psychiatrist could help to alleviate the other parents concerns and reluctance if there were true concerns not displaced emotions about something else. If this is the case, then it will be an ongoing struggle.